Monday, 21 January 2013

Stay off the roads said the bloke on the news

Then within 5 minutes the bloke in charge of the council gritters stated that unless the gritted roads were driven on the salt wouldnt work!
So the T lady and I drove sprog No2 back to Sheffield, a round trip of about 550 miles and all of it on well cleared a roads and motorways. In fact the only problem was continually refilling the washer bottles due to salty slush smearing the windscreen.
On the way there I sold a rifle and on the way back collected another, this much more interesting. A 1904 Portugese Mauser in 6.5 x 58 all original and a couple of boxes of ammo one of which was correct;




A nice feature is the magazine floor plate release catch inside the trigger guard, a well designed rifle.
Its a nice rifle but as its almost 100% original I cant sporter it so I will be getting one or two of the 8mm Mauser later conversions for that!

2 comments:

Hippo said...

Nice to see that there are still those blessed with the community spirit which will drive them miles out of their way to perform a civic duty!

Dan H. said...

Ah well, quite inadvertently today I might've landed a colleague in the smelly. I live up Pendle way, and am cursed with a conscience. I don't cry off work because of snow unless I've had the car stuck or sideways at least once, and this morning it was a wee bit skiddy, nothing a bit of slow and sane driving could't handle.

My colleague in Accrington was apparently completely snowed in. Dozens of millimetres of the stuff; he was encircled by marauding penguins with lasers or something. Anyway, he called in a "work from home" day, I didn't and forbore even from the standard whinge about conditions as it hadn't been dire at all.

Management are now looking funny at him, like.