Sunday, 13 June 2010

The Light Infantry Reunion Weekend

On the way up to Shrewsbury, 94 and I visited the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas.
Very interesting and also very sobering.
The grounds are well worth the £2 parking charge. The Memorial is quite breathtaking. Many names I recognised and some I had forgotten and sadly some which were an unpleasant surprise to find.
Inside the wall are a couple of scenes, through the doors at 11am on the 11th November each year a shaft of sunlight beams through the gap.
On the other side is this remarkable work;

The walls all around are engraved with the names of all service persons killed on duty since 1945. There are an awful lot of names. There are more blank panels to record the dreadful cost of implementing politicians plans.
Geoff was killed on my first Op Banner tour in 1983. I always thought he was younger than twenty.

94 next to one of the walls, these are our years here;

More to follow.





No comments: